I am a sinner saved by grace. I am a follower of Jesus, the husband of Skylar, and the father of Keaton and Sawyer. We live in southwest Washington.
I grew up in an intact, loving Christian home and still have great relationships with my parents. I served in the US Marine Corps Reserves 2004-2010. By the grace of God and with providential human help I have overcome depression, pornography addiction, and the trauma and grief of losing one of my brothers to suicide.
As a counselor, I have the professional privilege of paying forward the help that I have received to overcome my own challenges.
I owe the inspiration of this simple value statement to Tim Challies.
Christian – I affirm that Jesus is my Savior.
Protestant – I affirm the five “solas” of the Reformation.
Evangelical – I believe the gospel (which is the original and truest meaning of “evangelical”).
Unfinished – Though I find great beauty in traditional Protestantism, I realize that in some areas traditions may not be fully Scriptural. Where that is the case I am eager to change as the Spirit convicts me through the Word.
Integrative – I affirm that all truth is God’s truth, wherever truth is found. In my work, I consider insights from modern science to the extent that they do not contradict the plain teaching of Scripture.
Curious – I recognize that Christianity, Protestantism, and Evangelicalism are all diverse within themselves. No one is saved by their theology, they are saved by grace. I strive to respect and learn from my brothers and sisters in the faith even when we draw different theological conclusions.
Loving – I believe that all people are created in God’s image, and those outside the faith are due equal love and respect from me as those inside the faith. They shall know I am a Christian by my love. I pray that through my love, they might experience the love of Christ, and that the Spirit would draw them to Him through my love.
Traditional toward Marriage and Gender – I affirm that Biblical marriage is between one biological man and one biological woman. I affirm that the true gender of any individual is that revealed by their anatomy at birth and possession of either xx or xy chromosomes.
Resume / CV
Post-traumatic stress; developmental stress disorder; adverse childhood experiences; sex addiction; pornography addiction; infidelity; betrayal trauma; the Gottman Method; Emotionally Focused Therapy; biofeedback; internal family systems; clinical outcomes; clinical outcome predictors; therapeutic alliance.
- Master of Arts in Counseling, May 2016, Western Seminary, Portland, OR
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, June 2012, Washington State University Vancouver, Vancouver, WA
- Associate in Arts, August 2010, Clark College, Vancouver, WA
- Adjunct Faculty, Warner Pacific University, January 2020 to present
- President / Founder / Contracted Clinician-Researcher, Restored Life Counseling, January 2018 to present
- Mental Health Counselor, Refresh Therapy, February 2017 to December 2017
- Mental Health Counselor, Real Life Counseling, May 2016 to February 2017
- Intern Mental Health Counselor, Real Life Counseling, July 2014 to May 2016
Volunteer Projects / Community Involvement
- Board Member, Our City Cares / Let Hope Arise Crusade, September 2017 – Present
Licenses and Certifications
- Certified Sex Addiction Therapist Candidate (CSAT Candidate), International Institute of Trauma and Addiction Professionals
- Board Certified Counselor, National Board for Certified Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (#LH60960443), Washington State Department of Health
- Gottman Method Level II, The Gottman Institute
- Stephens, S. L., & Stephens, D. T. (2017). Walking Through Tragedy With Victory: A Study Guide for Loss, Grief, and Healing. Camas, WA: Self-Published. https://amzn.to/2ATLljN