I am a sinner saved by grace. I am a follower of Jesus, the husband of Skylar, and the father of Keaton, Sawyer, and Teagan. We started our family in southwest Washington, and we moved to Arizona in April of 2022.
I grew up in an intact, loving Christian home and still have great relationships with my parents. I served in the US Marine Corps Reserves 2004-2010. By the grace of God and with providential human help I have overcome depression, pornography addiction, and the trauma and grief of losing one of my brothers to suicide.
As a counselor, I have the professional privilege of paying forward the help that I have received to overcome my own challenges.
I owe the inspiration of this simple value statement to Tim Challies.
Christian – I affirm that Jesus is my Savior.
Protestant – I affirm the five “solas” of the Reformation.
Reformed – I affirm the Doctrines of Grace, sometimes called Calvinism. But I see these doctrines in scripture, which did not originate with Calvin.
Evangelical – I believe in the gospel (which is the original and truest meaning of “evangelical”).
Unfinished – Though I find great beauty in traditional Protestantism, I realize that in some areas, traditions may not be fully Scriptural. Where that is the case I am eager to change as the Spirit convicts me through the Word.
Integrative – I affirm that all truth is God’s truth, wherever truth is found. In my work, I consider insights from modern science to the extent that they do not contradict the plain teaching of Scripture.
Curious – I recognize that Christianity, Protestantism, and Evangelicalism are all diverse within themselves. No one is saved by their theology, they are saved by grace. I strive to respect and learn from my brothers and sisters in the faith even when we draw different theological conclusions.
Loving – I believe that all people are created in God’s image, and those outside the faith are due equal love and respect from me as those inside the faith. They shall know I am a Christian by my love. I pray that through my love, they might experience the love of Christ, and that the Spirit would draw them to Him through my love.
Traditional toward Marriage and Gender – I affirm that Biblical marriage is between one biological man and one biological woman. I affirm that the true gender of any individual is that revealed by their anatomy at birth and possession of either xx or xy chromosomes.
Resume / CV
Post-traumatic stress; developmental stress disorder; adverse childhood experiences; sex addiction; pornography addiction; infidelity; betrayal trauma; the Gottman Method; Emotionally Focused Therapy; biofeedback; internal family systems; clinical outcomes; clinical outcome predictors; therapeutic alliance.
- Master of Arts in Counseling, May 2016, Western Seminary, Portland, OR
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, June 2012, Washington State University Vancouver, Vancouver, WA
- Associate in Arts, August 2010, Clark College, Vancouver, WA
- President / Founder / Contracted Clinician-Researcher, Restored Life Counseling, January 2018 to present
- Mental Health Counselor, Refresh Therapy, February 2017 to December 2017
- Mental Health Counselor, Real Life Counseling, May 2016 to February 2017
- Intern Mental Health Counselor, Real Life Counseling, July 2014 to May 2016
Volunteer Projects / Community Involvement
- Board Member, Our City Cares / Let Hope Arise Crusade, September 2017 – Present
Licenses and Certifications
- Certified Sex Addiction Therapist Candidate (CSAT Candidate) (#2021-3561), International Institute of Trauma and Addiction Professionals
- Board Certified Counselor, National Board for Certified Counselors (#756648)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (#LH60960443), Washington State Department of Health
- Licensed Professional Counselor (#LPC-20530), Arizona
- Gottman Method Level II, The Gottman Institute
- Stephens, S. L., & Stephens, D. T. (2017). Walking Through Tragedy With Victory: A Study Guide for Loss, Grief, and Healing. Camas, WA: Self-Published. https://amzn.to/2ATLljN